Today's Ten on Tuesday
is 10 Favorite Oscar Winning Movies. I've restricted myself to Best Picture winners, otherwise I'd spend years trying to narrow down the list. As it stands, from earliest to latest:
- It Happened One Night - Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable being their witty, charming, funny, gorgeous selves.
- An American In Paris - This film alone is reason enough to justify Gene Kelly's reportedly ginormous ego. Leslie Caron is fantastic, too. Add in Oscar Levant and music by George Gershwin and you've got paradise. And rhythm.
- Lawrence of Arabia - David Lean. Peter O'Toole (I dare you not to fall in love with him in this movie). Alec Guinness. Omar Sharif. Anthony Quinn. Warning: have plenty of water handy when you watch this movie (letterbox, of course) because you will be thirsty.
- Annie Hall - Well la dee da.
- Driving Miss Daisy - Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman are beyond brilliant.
- The Silence of the Lambs - I just watched this the other night and it still scares the bejesus out of me. Anthony Hopkins is a shark. Watch him. He's a shark.
- Chicago - One of my favorite musicals brought to the screen with style and verve.
- The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King - "My friends, you bow to no one." = instant sobbing for me. My husband always says, "Gandalf! You had eagles this whole time and we WALKED to Mount Doom?!?!?"
- Shakespeare in Love - Gwyneth Paltrow is gorgeous in this movie. And then you have Tom Stoppard's amazingly sharp and witty words and it's just pure magic.
- American Beauty - I bow down to Kevin Spacey